Believe it or not, the first thing you must do to prioritize your life has to do with our feelings and emotions.
THIS IS IMPORTANT!
This is by far the most important step in the Life Planning process. Before setting goals, before creating that awesome bucket-list, before developing your next to-do list, before, before, before.
It’s part of the process that is often overlooked so I’m hoping by the time you’re done reading this, you’ll make it a priority in your life.
First and foremost, we must get clear about the FEELINGS we want to experience in life before we decide what we want to HAVE.
Most of us start with what they want to have (people, places and things) without giving thought to how those people, places and things will make us feel.
Then we’re surprised when some of those things materialize in our lives and our feelings about life haven’t changed.
Therefore, as we cycle around in the life planning process (DREAM ◊ PLAN ◊ CREATE), we need to frequently stop and ask ourselves, “do the people, places and things I want to have in my life match the feelings I want to experience?”
SO, HOW DO YOU FIGURE OUT THE FEELINGS YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE?
- Start by creating a list of all of the feelings you CURRENTLY experience in life (both good and bad).
- Looking at the list, are there feelings that you no longer want in your life? Make note of that.
- Then create a list of feelings you WANT to experience (some may be on the previous list, some may not).
- Are there feelings on this list that you aren’t currently experiencing in your life but want to? Make note of that.
- These lists are the areas to focus on while life planning and goal setting. These are the areas to prioritize in your life.
- Everything you outline in your current life plan, the goals you set and the bucket list you develop should ultimately lead to one or more of the positive feelings on your list.
- Furthermore, once you get clear about the feelings you want to have, you can begin to examine current areas of your life that are not positively contributing to that experience.
LOOKING FOR A QUICK AND EASY WAY TO DO THIS?
If so, I developed a FREE 6-Page Workbook that you can use over and over again at different times in your life. No need to sign-up to access the workbook. I provided it below.
The workbook includes:
- A list of 150 Feelings and Emotions (so you don’t miss any)
- A 2-page Feelings Inventory to easily help you compare your ‘current’ feelings list and your ‘want’ list to develop priorities
- A printable inspirational quote for your life planning binder
Once you finish this process, you’re on your way to ensuring that your life plans and goals may actually improve the quality of your life.
Need to find your focus and start prioritizing your life? Struggling to stay motivated?
Check-out these LIFE PLANNING ESSENTIALS available for you to get started today. They can work wonders helping you recharge and refocus your life.