This community is designed to support those looking to make effective life changes over the next year, three years, five years or longer.
For those who need some guidance getting clear about what they really want in life and developing effective plans to get there. Who have this feeling there’s something more they should and could be doing.
For those who are feeling a tug or an even deeper pull to get moving, to shake things up, to do something different. Who recognize the ‘something’ different can sometimes be difficult to identify and even more difficult to put into action.
If you’re looking to:
- feel rejuvenated
- wake up every day (especially on Monday) with a sense of purpose
- understand why you lack motivation and how to change that
- adapt a growth mindset to develop effective short and long term goals
- think about career planning and career goals from a more satisfying perspective
- live more creatively
- learn how to develop an effective life plan and stay motivated to see it through
- improve your productivity in life overall
- take 100% responsibility for your life and your current circumstances
- reinvent yourself
- feel a sense of overall wellness in your life
then ‘Determined to Love Mondays’ may be the perfect place for you.
I, Karen (more about me below), hope this community and all I intend to provide here will help you get clear about what you want more of (or less of) in your life, now and in the future.
I hope to help you plan and prioritize how to get there (wherever there is for you) and ultimately to get moving in that direction.
This community will be here to cheer you on and especially cheer you up when your plans don’t always go as well as you wanted. You are not alone in that. It happens to everyone.
Do any of these statements resonate with you?
- I want to find time for more creativity in my life.
- I need a little inspiration to keep doing what I’m doing.
- I can’t seem to get moving on what I really envision for my life.
- I can’t figure out what my life plan could or should be.
- I can’t seem to get to a deeper level of personal and spiritual growth.
- I struggle living a life a find meaningful and sometimes feel I may never find it.
- I feel like I’m not truly a creative person and need support adjusting my mindset.
- I don’t feel brave enough to share my hearts desires with others.
- I’m overwhelmed in life and I can’t always see the forest through the trees.
- It would be helpful to set up an action plan that really resonates with what I’m longing to do, be and have in my life.
- It would be nice to celebrate my wins with others who are also wanting to live their best lives.
- It would be helpful to share my frustrations when my progress isn’t going as planned.
If so, once again, this community may be just what you’ve been looking for.
The ‘Dream ◊ Plan ◊ Create’ Cycle
One way to bring simplicity to the life planning process is to adapt a model to work from. For that purpose, I developed the DREAM ◊ PLAN ◊ CREATE cycle to help us focus and stay the course (link to those pages to read more).
When we purposefully and deliberately plan and create the life we want, we spend time in each of these areas, moving from one phase to another.
There may be times when we go from one phase to another daily. Then there may be other times when the DREAM ◊ PLAN ◊ CREATE cycle actually looks like a linear line and we are able to stay in each phase for a longer period of time before continuing in the cycle again. There are gifts that come with both.
The information shared through the blog and newsletter will focus on one of these three areas but will ultimately come from what you need, the challenges you are experiencing and the support you ask for so I’m prepared to adjust that along the way.
As we get to know each other, I’ll be able to design appropriate tools, strategies, information and classes to support where you want to go.
Will you join me?
All my best, Karen
“You are not alone in this, as brothers [and sisters] we will stand and we’ll hold your hand.” Mumford & Sons
About Karen (the short version)
- My last name is Kohn (like ice cream ‘cone’).
- I have a BS in Social Work and a MPA (Master’s in Public Administration).
- I’ve been working in Higher Education for the last 26 years (Residence Life, Academic Advising, Career Counseling).
- I have helped thousands of college students develop effective life plans to achieve their goals during and after college.
- I’m MBTI® certified (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).
- I’m deeply interested in effective life planning, simplicity, spirituality and sunshine.
- I absolutely love Soul Collage®. It’s part of my life plan to become certified some day.
- I’m also a visual artist with a focus in mixed media and painting.
- My mom was a Master Folk Art Painter and taught me the love and techniques of painting.
- I have always been attracted to whimsical and colorful art and still am today.
- I have two feline babies, Lucy and Cleo (and no, Cleo is not a girl) and one tall, dark handsome husband (Jim).
ABOUT KAREN (the long version) and the story of my CREATIVE LIFE
My last name is Kohn. I sometimes introduce myself like this…”Hi, I’m Karen Kohn, like ice cream cone” because most people don’t know how to pronounce it.
My mom began folk art painting while I was away at college. Creativity was so exciting to her that she wanted to teach me what she was learning when I was home one summer. Up until then, I never thought I was creative or artistic. Let’s get real; I wasn’t born knowing how to draw so how could I be? (*big grin*)
After that summer, I did not pick up a paint brush for another 22 years. What changed? Glad you asked!
Flash forward to 2011
My mom is now a Master Folk Art Painter. She painted for the love of painting, never to sell. She said she was too slow, that it would be like giving her art away for free. You should see her stuff, amazing!! Oh wait, I’m supposed to be talking about me. I can’t help it; I love the heck out of that woman! Okay, it’s 2011 and I’m starting to get the itch to do something creative so guess what, I picked up a paint brush.
My mom never painted originals (but trust me, that does not diminish the quality of her work. She was amazingly patient with the small details). She closely followed her favorite Folk Art Painter, Jo Sonja Jenson (a dear, dear person btw) and painted most of what Jo Sonja put out in terms of tutorials, classes etc. When I start painting, I knew I was more interested in painting originals.
My Interest in Art Continues
I took my first drawing class that summer at a college I work at in Madison, WI. I then took 2-D Design, watercolor and a class that focused on using an iPad to develop inspiration that eventually made its way to a canvas. I sold my first painting during the iPad class to another classmate for $100. I couldn’t believe it. Over the last couple of years, I have taken many online art courses and spent one wonderful week painting with Jo Sonja, a gift from my father in honor of my mother who passed away in 2013 (*big tears*).
I am so grateful I picked up painting when I did as my mom and I spent many more weekends together than we had previously because of our shared interest. We painted, laughed, discussed our life journey, sometimes cried about the past but overall, really enjoyed each other’s company as two adult women.
My Favorite Art Medium
After exploring many mediums, I ultimately landed on mixed media painting. For the time being anyway (you know what I mean, right?).
I don’t know why but I have always been in love with whimsical art and bright colors. If you check out my links below under Karen’s Creative Work, you’ll see what I mean. I can’t get away from it and I suppose, why should I? Since it’s what comes out of me, I am learning to trust it but sometimes the gremlins still come calling. “This is silly.” “Who would like art like this?” “You need to paint more grown-up art.” Don’t even ask.
What I do know is that the more I paint, the happier I am. Period!
Check out this blog post to help you understand how my story goes from painting to developing ‘Determined to Love Mondays’ through the life planning process.
That’s enough about me. I CAN’T WAIT to hear your story, your ideas, your visions, your dreams, your plans, your struggles, your wins!
Get STARTED HERE! YAY!